Sunday, April 11, 2010

Home again, home again


25 hours (tail winds), 8 bottles of milk, 4 jars of porridge and carrot mash, 9 diapers, and 2 outfit changes later, I'm home. And I slept even less on my journey home from Australia than I did on the way over. Who knew it was possible? 45 minutes of shut-eye from Melbourne to LAX. And I didn't cry a peep.

To avoid repeat episodes of sleeplessness on the way over, shortly after take-off my parents applied some homeopathic remedy (mildly alcoholic) to try to get me to doze off. When they saw no immediate results, they took it upon themselves to double the dosage. All it did was end up getting me drunk (fools), which was readily apparent by my slurred speech and unusually wobbly crawl at the back of the plane. My buzz must've made me less inhibited though, as I made a whole bunch of friends with fellow travelers. One woman was so taken by me, she took me right out of my mom's arms and started showing me off to her family and friends on the plane.

And then, the most remarkable thing happened. Amidst all the hullaballoo, chatting it up with her friends and family, my dummy (er, pacifier for the Americans) flew out of my mouth, and who was there to retrieve it and give it back to me? None other than my cougar friend Jessica! (see post immediately below) We had a fun, surprise reunion on the way home and exchanged tales from our respective holidays. She said she recognized the dummy from the plane ride over and was hoping it belonged to me. Smart girl.

Below, highlights from travel - including the lovely folks at Qantas and my reunion with Jessica.

No comments:

Post a Comment